Cupcakes Makes 12 Cupcakes (Recipe Adapted from The Cake Book by Jemma Wilson):
- 12g currants
- 50ml orange juice
- 125g self raising flour
- 100g caster sugar
- 25g soft dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon mixed spice
- 20g mixed peel
- 135g unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon golden syrup
- Chocolate Buttercream recipe here or Vanilla Butter Cream recipe here
- Muffin tin lined with muffin cases
- Piping bag
- Bowl x 2
- Wire Rack
- Pastry brush
1.Preheat oven to 170c/375f/gas mark 5.
2.Soak the currants in the orange juice for 30 minutes, then drain.
3.Put the dry ingredients into a bowl and stir to combine. Add the currants when drained.
4.Cream the butter and sugars together. Then add the eggs and beat to combine.
5.Add the milk and golden syrup to the sugar mixture, then whisk for 20 seconds, or until well combined. Then add the dry ingredients and mix again until incorporated.
6.Fill the papercases about 2/3 full with the cupcake batter mixture.
7.Bake for 20 minutes. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
8. Meanwhile, warm the marmalade up in a saucepan and brush the tops of the cupcakes with a pastry brush.
9.Once cooled completely, decorate with a cross of vanilla (or chocolate) buttercream, using a piping bag.
Have a great weekend!