I think most people have recipes that they often go back to again and again. This one is a favourite autumnal recipe that I try and make whenever I have some cooking apples available. This apple cake is also great for on the go or even better when its heated and laced with custard.
Erg...This is just sexy...
Recipe: Makes 1 large cake (Recipe Adapted from Cooking Up a Storm by Sam Stern)
· 75g unsalted butter, softened
· 175g golden caster sugar
· 2 large eggs
· 255g plain flour, sifted
· 2 teaspoons baking powder
· The zest from 1 lemon
· 675g/2 large cooking apples
· 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
· 1/2 teaspoon ground mixed spice
· 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
· 2 tablespoons whole milk
· A little dusting of icing sugar to decorate
· 1 large cake tin lined with baking paper
· Electric mixer/hand-held electric whisk
· Peeler/Sharp knife
· Wooden Spoon
1. Pre heat the oven to 180c/350c/ Gas mark 4. Line the cake tin with the baking paper.
2. Peel, core and chop the apples into small chunks.
3. Cream the butter and sugar together until pale, add the eggs and beat until all combined
4. Sift the flour, baking powder and spices into the creamed mixture and fold until combined.
6. Bake for 1 hour and test to see if the cake is cooked by prodding the middle with a clean knife. If it comes out clean, its done.