Wednesday 10 October 2012

The Basic Equipment List or "Where do I even start?!"

Very often people are put off baking because:'I have no idea what I need, where do I start!?'
So here's my list of basic's to get you started:
  • Scales- This is the single most important piece of equipment that will ever use. Don't attempt to bake without a set of scales. Digital scales can weight out ingredients in Metric, Imperial and liquids. Personally I own a set of digital scales because its accurate and very easy to use.
  • Measuring Spoons- A set of spoons including a 1/2 teaspoon, 1/4 teaspoon, teaspoon, tablespoon and a dessert spoons. They come in great quirky designs but make sure they have all the correct measurements. 
  • Transparent Measuring Jug- Make sure that it is heatproof, pyrex is good. It's helpful if the jug shows both metric and imperial measures. 
  • Mixing Bowls- In a range of different sizes for mixing ingredients and for storing ingredients before use.
  • Mixing Utensils- I'm talking about the classic wooden spoon, however I was told my Nana, (My baking knowledge hub) to use a metal spoon when folding egg whites into a mixture as it doesn't flatten them as much as a wooden spoon. Also having a rubber spatula is a brilliant as  it scraps the cake batter away from the sides of bowls. Other mixing utensils include a whisk or an electric hand whisk which I often use to help speed up the batter. 
  • Rolling Pin- Very often I've been making biscuits/cookies and I need to roll out my dough and there's nothing more frustrating then having to squish your dough with your hands.
  • Sieve- Many recipes will call for 'sieving the flour into a bowl'. Without a sieve your batter will be lumpy and gross. 
  • Free Standing Mixer- This piece of equipment is such a time saver and it can be used to beat, whisk, whip and knead allsorts of mixtures.
  • Baking Trays and Tins- Cheap tins don't the job, you run the risk of warping and buying all new tins again. Invest in high quality tins and baking trays which will last. Remember to read a recipe to make sure you've the right sized tray/tin. 
With this list you can't really go wrong. These are the real basic's that you'll need to start baking. Without them baking is going to be struggle.

Bake On!
Penny



Bake On! Penny x

No comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...