Friday 20 September 2013

Classic Mini Vanilla Cupcakes

Its back to school time, and the weather is slowly changing from the mildly warm summer (we dont get hot weather in the UK), to the autumn (or fall to the USA readers). I think what I'm trying to say is that its time for adapting and changing. I had to adapt and pretend I was completely confident and that I was not nervous or panicky. I recently had to do a presentation on what I've been up to during my placement year. 

I didn't have an epic placement year. I swapped placements 3 times and felt like a failure for swapping so many times, I found that the last placement in an office worked out in the end and I completed my patisserie course. I wouldn't have been able to complete the course unless I moved around. So talking about a placement year that didn't start out great but ended well, was a little nerve racking. 

Standing in front of people who you may not understand where your'e coming from was awful and during the presentation my legs were shaking. 

I worried for nothing. People understood what I went through and they did enjoy the presentation. More importantly I got a little clap at the end. I think that the fact I brought in some mini cakes helped my case. 

Deciding on the 'keep it simple' theme, I choose the classic vanilla cupcakes. You can't go wrong with a classic. I got quite a few compliments on the cute-ness and the delicious-ness of the cupcakes so I was pleased. 
Oh and the presentation went well! Thank-you for those who listened to the presentation. 


Recipe-Makes 48 (Adapted from Cupcakes from Primrose:
·       110g unsalted butter, at room temperature
·       225g golden caster sugar
·       2 large eggs
·       150g self raising flour, sifted
·       125g plain flour, sifted
·       120ml semi-skimmed milk at room temperature
·       1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Buttercream:
·       110g unsalted butter
·       60ml semi-skimmed milk
·       1 teaspoon vanilla extract
·       500g icing sugar, sifted
To decorate:
·       A colour paste of your choice
·       Sprinkles and decorations
Equipment:
·       Wooden spoon/ spatula
·       Bowl x 3
·       Jug/ small bowl
·       2 x Mini Muffin tray lined with 48 mini cupcake cases  
·       Piping bag fitted with a plain nozzle/ palette knife
·       Teaspoon
1.    Pre-heat the oven to 160c fan/180c/350f/Gas Mark 4 and line the mini muffin trays with cupcake cases.
Step 2. Butter and sugar until pale and smooth.
2.    In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar until pale and smooth.
3.  Add the eggs one at a time, and beat until combined.   
Step 4. Combine the two flours and milk and vanilla extract
4. Combine the two flours in a separate bowl and combine the milk, and vanilla extract in a jug. Add one-third of the flours to the creamed mixture and beat well.
Step 5. The completed cake batter
5.    Pour in one-third of the milk mixture and beat again. Repeat these steps until all the flour and milk has been added.
Step 5. Fill the cupcake cases
6.    Carefully spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases, filling them to about two-thirds full. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until slightly raised and golden brown.
7.    Remove from the oven and leave the cakes in their tins for about 10 minutes before carefully placing on a wire rack to cool. Once they are completely cool, you can ice the cupcakes.
Step 7. Wait until completely cold to ice
8.    To make the buttercream, in a large bowl beat the butter, milk, vanilla extract and half the icing sugar. I did this with a spatula and it took about 5 minutes with loads of elbow grease!


9.    Gradually add the rest of the icing sugar until the buttercream is incorporated, smooth and creamy. 

 These were a real hit in the classroom, it would have been weird if I took photos of people eating. I used confetti sprinkles, glitter sugar, and oreo's to decorate but you can use whatever you want. 

Anyway my main message in this post is no matter what's going on around you, don't lose your confidence and smile. It's not as bad as it seems.
Have a good weekend!



Follow on Bloglovin
Bake On! Penny x

No comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...