Wednesday 16 October 2013

Whatever Happened to that Leftover Pumpkin? Pumpkin Spiced Syrup Recipe

Its the time of year, when I and many, many others, start reaching for the hot drinks. Lattes, hot chocolates, herbal teas, cappucinos. None are safe from me when the cold months set in. 

Last week I had some  leftover canned pumpkin from the pumpkin and pecan bars. I couldn't come up with any recipe that had 120g of canned pumpkin, but I came across a blog, (which now I'm following) completely by mistake, that solved the problem. Stephanie who runs CopyKat recipes had replicated a recipe of the well sought out: Starbucks Pumpkin Spiced Latte. I don't want to spoil her back story so just watch her video here. Its just so heart-warming, totally worth watching. 

Anyways,  full credit to her! She did it and she did it well! So here it is from cups to grams. What to do with leftover pumpkin: 

Recipe Name: Spiced Pumpkin Coffee Syrup (Translated from Cups to Gram by me, but the original recipe was invented by wonderful Stephanie at CopyKat.com

Recipe-:
·       600ml water
·       ¼ teaspoon mixed spice
·       1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
·       ½ teaspoons ground ginger
·       225g caster sugar
·       3 tablespoons of canned pumpkin puree (I used the leftover I had from the Pumpkin and Pecan bars)
Equipment:
·       Medium sized saucepan
·       Wooden spoon
·       Fine Sieve
·       Air tight containers

Step 1. Spices and Water combined
1.    Combine the spices and water in the saucepan.
Step 2. Bring the water to the boil
2.    Bring the water to a boil and then turn down the water with spices to simmer for 20 minutes.
Step 3. Sieve the contents into a jug
3.    Strain the spices out by pouring the water through a fine sieve and into a clean jug.
Step 4. Pumpkin Time
4.    Put the syrup back into a pan and mix in the sugar and pumpkin.
5.    Simmer the spiced water for another 10 minutes.
Step 5. Store in airtight container 
6.    Store the syrup in an airtight container in the fridge for about 2 weeks. 

I find that about 3 tablespoons in your coffee is perfect. I used the latte packets because I don't drink alot of milk and I don't have a coffee machine. Thats the life of a student I suppose!
Happy Baking!

Follow on Bloglovin
Bake On! Penny x

No comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...