Friday 22 August 2014

Fat Friday #5 Mini American Style Pancakes

I'm working from a 10 year old laptop so forgive me if the font on the pictures are a little odd and I can't fix it, but I didn't want you readers to miss out on this weeks Fat Friday! I'm soon moving to Portsmouth, but had to leave tons of my stuff in London, including my laptop so editing is taking ages. But I'm not going to hold out on you guys so lets get straight to it. 

This weeks Fat Friday involves American style pancakes but there super mini pancakes!!! I was going to name these super kawaii mini pancakes because there so cute and teeny. If I did call them that I think the title picture would have looked like this:


Woah... I think this is how unicorns see the world. This picture is a little too sugar coated, even for me. I'll stick to the original image... 

These are so yummy and can be customised to suit your taste. You like whipped cream? Whip it on them. Chocolate sauce? Just slap it on. For me, its caramel brought back from France (Thanks Rob sugar ;) ). Wow that makes me sound so middle class...

These pancakes are pretty easy and quick to make. Since there mini ones they can be served as a breakfast or a dessert. As an extra added bonus they can be frozen for about a week in an air tight container with baking paper in between them. Defrost them in the fridge overnight for at least 6 hours. They won't be as good as fresh but can be heated gently in the microwave for a minute, depending on your microwave. 

Recipe: Serves 4 greedy people so watch your fingers (Recipe Adapted from the Student Cookbook by Sam Stern)
  • 110g plain flour
  • 50g melted butter, plus a little extra
  • 2 large eggs, separated 
  • 150ml milk
  • 10g caster sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • Your choice of topping: cream, raspberry sauce, whatever you like. 
Equipment:

  • Bowl
  • Jug
  • Hand whisk/(Electric hand-whisk-if your too lazy to whisk egg whites by hand)
  • Frying pan
  • Sift
  • Fork

1. Separate the eggs into two different bowls. 
2.Beat the yolks, milk and butter with a fork.  
3. Sift the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder into a separate bowl.
4. Add the wet mix slowly into the dry mixture and whisk until the batter is smooth.
5.Whisk the egg whites until fluffy and stiff. Fold into the pancake batter.
6.Brush a heated frying pan with melted butter and drop tablespoons of batter into the pan.
7. Leave room in between each one and cook until the bottoms are brown and it begins to bubble. Turn and cook until puffy and golden.

Have an epic weekend, enjoy the weather (even if its rainy) and Happy Baking!

Bake On! Penny x

No comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...